Suzie Black blends her background of traditional painting with the freedom and energy of abstract Expressionism.
She received her formal training with advanced degrees in both art therapy and art education at the George Washington University and the Corcoran School of Art. Although Black taught art to children in public schools and evening classes to adults for many years, she continued to paint and always knew she would return to her love full time.
At once creative, evocative, and alive with rhythm, Black’s intuitive paintings express freedom, emotional depth and a unique expressive style.
Born in New Jersey, she now lives in Scottsdale, Arizona with her husband, Dave. Her mother was a great early influence as an artist. As a child, living outside of Manhattan and going into the city on weekends with her family, Black was exposed to amazing art from around the world. She began to paint as a teenager and fell in love with it immediately.
“My greatest influences were the Abstract Expressionist and Expressionist portrait painters including Diebenkorn, Julian Freud and Egon Schiele. I am extremely attracted to art that’s brimming with emotion, rhythm and pulsing life.“
Black dedicates herself to lifelong learning and teaching all ages. She teaches at Scottsdale Artists’ School.
- Sonoran Arts League, Juried Artist Member, 2014-present
- Hidden in the Hills 2014, 2015,2016,2017, 20
- Thunderbird Artists Juried Show, Cave Creek January, 2018
- First Studio, Downtown Phoenix, August, 2018, / December, 2018
- Thunderbird Artists Juried Show, January, 2019 Cave Creek
- Vortex Magazine COVER Artist 2019
- Yeiser Gallery, Paducah, KY recipient of “The Artist is In” NEA grant 2020
- Art in the Time of Corona, The Dabart Co.Galleries,Los Angeles, Artsy Online 2021
- Tempe Festival of the Arts, (Juried) December, 2021
- Thunderbird Artists Waterfront Artist Festival (Juried), February2022
- The Finer Arts Gallery, Cave Creek, AZ
- Scottsdale Artist School, Scottsdale ,AZ